Who may do community service at the CSC ReStore?
How do I get started volunteering at the ReStore?
- Students needing hours for school
- Those with court-ordered hours for non violent offenses or those with Pretrial Intervention
When can I begin volunteering?
- First, schedule an orientation with the Volunteer Coordinator. Orientations are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 3:00pm-5:00pm and last about 15minutes. Orientations consist of touring/learning about the mission and purpose of the ReStore, learn about volunteer opportunities, and go over the Volunteer Packet. The Volunteer Coordinator may be able to work with you if your schedule conflicts with orientation times.
- Once you've completed your orientation, you are allowed to volunteer any day the ReStore is open: Tuesdays- Saturdays, 9am-5pm.
- Every four hours you receive a 15 minute break. If volunteering all day, you receive two 15 minute breaks and a hour lunch. There are several lunch options nearby. There is a break room with a refrigerator and a microwave if you would like to pack a lunch.
What should I wear?
- Comfortable, casual clothes that you can work in and don't mind getting dirty (jeans, athletic pants/shorts, etc.) Shorts must be at least mid-thigh in length - NO "short-shorts" or "booty shorts"
- Closed-toe, closed-heel shoes such as athletic trainers or work boots, no ballet shoes, crocs, etc. (if you arrive with inappropriate footwear, you will not be permitted to work that day)
- Jacket/sweatshirt/raincoat - many tasks will require you to be outside, or in a backroom with open doors, so cold/rainy weather will be a factor
What CAN'T I wear?
- loose hanging jewelry
- hats/headwear, except for baseball caps or religious headwear
- anything featuring offensive or explicit slogans/language/images
- overly baggy clothing
- clothing that interferes with your ability to work, including items that you don't want to get dirty or paint on
- anything that allows your undergarments to show, ie low-rise pants, sheer shirts, etc.
What will I be doing?
- Tasks vary day to day, but will usually consist of general housekeeping (sweeping, cleaning up and organizing various departments, dusting, cleaning the breakroom and bathrooms, wiping the windows, etc.), sorting donations, pricing items, putting priced items on the floor, creating or breaking down displays, transporting large items to customers' cars, etc.
What should I do when I arrive to work?
- You must sign in upon arrival and ensure you sign out before you leave. If you don't sign out, the hours for that day will not count!
- If you arrive before the store is open to the public (9AM), knock on the front exit door to be let in.
- Perform the tasks that are assigned to you. Doing nothing, hanging out in the breakroom, leaving the store without signing out, etc., will result in either 1) receiving no hours for the day or 2) your dismissal from the site.
- Tell a manger upon arrival of your first day if you have any physical limitations that will affect your ability to perform particular assignments
- No swearing or inappropriate conversational topics. Should any inappropriate behavior occur, you will be told to leave immediately.
What is considered inappropriate behavior/grounds for dismissal?
- Defiance/refusal to perform requested tasks
- Confrontational behavior toward staff, volunteers, customers, or other performing community service
- Arguing/disputing number of hours accrued with staff
- Leaving site without signing out
- Neglecting or refusing to adhere to clothing requirements
- Talking on cell phone while working
- Hiding out/avoiding doing work
- Foul language/swearing and lewd or explicit conversations
Click below for our Free Coupon! New deals are posted Weekly!
Homes Built by ReStore to Date:
All Proceeds from the ReStore go to CSC Habitat for Humanity's Mission of "Eliminating Poverty Housing" in the Midlands!